Step 1. Watch the Video, “Background Checks for Roommates”
Step 2. Get your reports.
You only need the Tenant Screening Report to join HousingMatch.org. The CORI report is optional.
Get Tenant Screening Report
Get CORI Report
Step 3. Check your email for a link to post your ad and activate your account.
About the Tenant Screening Report (TSR):
IMPORTANT- Please make a copy of your TSR within 48 hours of opening the secure link by email.
- You will need to have your driver’s license and social security number ready to obtain the report. Reliable Screening Service does not accept ITIN numbers, you must have a social security number to access this report. The screening service charges $35 for the report. You can make a secure payment online with a major credit card. The report may be completed the same day, or if there is criminal history being reported, it may take up to one week. A link will be sent to you to make a copy of your report. You must copy the report within 48 hours of opening the email with the link and signing in to your account or the link will expire.
- The TSR will include your TransUnion credit report, a thorough OFAC, SDN, nationwide criminal records search, sex offender’s registry, FBI’s Most Wanted, Terrorist Watch, and a national eviction history search. All searches are conducted in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) by Reliable Background Screening a BBB recommended service. HousingMatch.org is notified by Reliable Background Screening when your report is completed and will email you a link to post our ad and create an account.
- HousingMatch.org does not access, view, or handle, your background check reports. We do not act as a screening service. You are responsible for you own information and for screening other members as potential roommates.
About the CORI:
- The Massachusetts Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) report is specific to criminal records for the state of Massachusetts. The CORI report is not required to become a member of HousingMatch.org, but the TSR is exclusively a nationwide report, so to get complete background check information, you will need both the TSR and CORI.
- The state charges $25 for the online iCORI report, however, qualifying households can obtain the report free of charge by filling out an Affidavit of Indigency Form and mailing the Adult Personal CORI Request Form to the Department of Criminal Justice Information Services (DCJIS). This process takes about 2 weeks.
- You can obtain your iCORI quickly (within 2-3 business days) by ordering it online; there is a $25 processing fee. To order your report online, first create an account, then when you will receive an email to login and request your CORI report, you can download the report from your CORI account dashboard. You will need personal information about your family, birthplace, and a copy of your state driver’s license or identification to request the report.
Protect Your Identity:
- HousingMatch.org ensures that everyone who posts an ad for shared housing has the TSR, so you can decide to share this information before you choose a roommate.
You are not required to show your TSR or CORI reports to anyone. If you decide to share information from your background check reports, please follow these instructions to protect your identity.
- Make copies of the reports and redact (blackout) the following information: 1) your year of birth, 2) the first five digits of your social security number, 3) your parents’ information, and 4) details of cases that are “Closed” or “Dismissed”.
- If you find that any information on your reports is not correct, or you have questions or concerns about your reports, for the Tenant Screening Report (TSR), contact Reliable Background Screening Service directly at (800)787-2439. For disputes about information on your CORI, go to the Mass.gov website or click here.
Find out more by viewing our Policies and Agreements